Story of Evil is set on Bolganio, a fictional continent in the series' world, with all of its major actions taking place in its western region, Evillious. The main storyline occurs throughout EC 499-505, although numerous events before and after are depicted or referenced in subsequent material. Many of the characters travel to and from numerous countries throughout the plot and their politics plays a large role in the events taking place.
Kingdom of LucifeniaEditArth I, Lucifenia became the largest and most prosperous nation of its time and was unrivaled in military strength. Although maintaining peace and prosperity for nearly a decade during Queen Anne's reign, the nation has begun to decline due to the tyranny of Princess Riliane.
Kingdom of ElphegortEditMillennium Tree Forest lying between both nations, Elphegort was protected from Lucifenia's conquests. Its people were characterized by their green hair; implementing strong nationalist policies, the natives heavily discriminated against foreigners, although its ruler, King Sohni Elphen, is a pacifist. Their sacred god Held is said to reside in its forest as the "Millennium Tree".
Kingdom of MarlonEditKyle Marlon, was betrothed to Princess Riliane by the will of their mothers and set to be married when Riliane turned fifteen. Although Kyle is the country's king, he is regarded as a puppet controlled by Queen Dowager Prim. The nation once competed with the Lioness country over the island, but has since gained hegemony over it. Many men from Marlon are said to be avid collectors.
Beelzenian EmpireEdit It is the nation of origin for the Goula plague across the region.
Divine LeviantaEditA large nation north of Elphegort and the religious capital of the Levin church. Rebuilt from the centuries-old ruins of the Magic Kingdom Levianta, the new nation is a shadow of its former glory. It held an alliance with the Kingdom of Elphegort.
AsmodeanEditA nation east of Lucifenia and Elphegort. It was once part of the Beelzenian Empire before declaring its independence. It was attacked by the Kingdom of Lucifenia during King Arth's rule and suffered greatly due to the war. It has poor relations with Elphegort and Lucifenia. Numerous mercenaries are exported from the state.
Since its first Vocaloid song was posted on Niconico Douga, the series exploded in popularity among fans. With both of its original two songs reaching a million views on NND by the next year, the "Evil" series was later looped into the Seven Deadly Sins Series and connected to the Clockwork Lullaby Series via Re_birthday. Many of its early songs have received several renditions by the author and both mothy and other producers have made songs referencing the series. In celebration of its final light novel, an album was released with several songs and instrumental pieces dedicated to the series.
- The Daughter of Evil
- The Servant of Evil
- Regret Message
- The Daughter of White
- Twiright Prank
- Wooden Girl ~Thousand Year Wiegenlied~
- Handbeat Clocktower
In the wake of the original song series' success, mothy announced on his blog that The Daughter of Evil would receive a light novel adaptation, published by the PHP Institute. The book series since spawned three successive light novels and two databooks along with numerous short stories. Although following the events present in the original songs, the light novels expanded upon the existing characters that had appeared or were mentioned in the song PVs, as well as adding new characters and plot details. As of 2014, The Daughter of Evil series sold over a million copies. In promotion for the last light novel, an album was released with songs and instrumental pieces dedicated to the series.
- The Daughter of Evil: Clôture of Yellow
- The Daughter of Evil: Wiegenlied of Green
- Interlude of Evil: The Daughter of Evil Worldguide
- The Daughter of Evil: Praeludium of Red
- The Daughter of Evil: Praefatio of Blue
- Epic of Evil: The Daughter of Evil Fanbook
- The Daughter of Evil Handbook 2013
Although not consistent with the established continuity, mothy advertised a spin-off manga for the series a month before the first light novel was released. After The Daughter of Evil novel series finished, mothy announced on twitter that two new serial manga based on the series would appear in the March 27, 2013 issue of Blitz G's Comics. A month since mothy's announcement, PHP made another announcement that they would publish a manga adaptation of The Daughter of Evil series, illustrated by Ichika. The manga adaptation was later confirmed to release its first volume on February 17, 2014.
Note: this list only contains the list of all major recurring characters in the series. For a list of all minor characters that appear or are mentioned in passing, see the List of Minor Characters in The Daughter of Evil.
The Daughter of Evil ~Gemini of Charm~ Edit
A play adaptation of the songs titled The Daughter of Evil ~Gemini of Charm~, opened on January 27, 2010 and lasted until January 31, 2010. The script was written by Hidekatsu Tokunaga, a member of X-QUEST, who adapted the story based on his own interpretation of the songs. Mothy was not involved in the script's creation and many events and settings in the play differ from their portrayal in the later light novels; they contain many of Tokunaga's original parodies and episodes added to the script. The character names were provided by mothy, albeit the character of "Michaela" from the light novels had been named "Maria" in the play adaptation.The play featured numerous instrumental tracks as well as covers for the velvet mix variants of The Daughter of Evil, The Servant of Evil, Regret Message, and the first rendition of Twiright Prank. The covers were sung by Shimoda Asami, the voice actress who lent her voice for Kagamine Rin and Len's vocals. The original soundtrack was released on February 3, 2010 as an album.
××× of Evil Edit
Another event called God of Evil, was held on April 11, 2010 by Drama Group Brioche. The group was established by fans of the series to make a theater play of The Daughter of Evil, The Servant of Evil, and Regret Message. The Drama Group Brioche made a big success in God of Evil or "xxx of Evil" for short.
VideogamesEditThe Daughter of Evil and The Servant of Evil made an appearance in the game Hatsune Miku and Future Stars Project Mirai for the Nintendo 3DS on March 8, 2012. Two Modules designed by Ichika were created exclusively for the songs; the designs were similar to the original designs used in the light novel series but were melded with influences from the Evils Kingdom incarnations Ichika also designed. The song PVs in the game loosely follow the plot of the light novels, including cameos by various characters seen in the light novels. However, due to the nature of the medium and its liberties, several inconsistencies exist between the official continuity and the game's story, including the portrayal of the setting, characters, and events in their minute details.
ConcertsEditDaughter of Evil and Servant of Evil were featured at Hatsune Miku Live Party 2011 in Tokyo on March 9th, 2011. Projected on a screen, Rin debuted on stage with Riliane's classic laugh and performed a sole ensemble to an abbreviated version of The Daughter of Evil. Directly afterward, Len debuted and performed a similarly shortened version of The Servant of Evil. They repeated the performance in Sapporo and Singapore that same year and returned the following year in Tokyo at Hatsune Miku Live Party 2012.
Conceptualization and OriginEdit
- The name "Story of Evil" appears in Handbeat Clocktower in reference to all the events that had occurred related to Queen Prim and Abyss I.R.'s machinations.
- The novel series' name as "The Daughter of Evil" series is a reference to Princess Riliane at the forefront of history and her connection to the larger conspiracy detailed by Yukina in her story.
- Much of the story was originally derived from the character of Marie Antionette and the French Revolution and several of the country's bear influence with a real-world European nations of the period.
- The name of all the characters represented by a Vocaloid (or a related synth such as UTAU) were chosen to match partially with the name of their respective Vocaloid counterpart when adapted to the Japanese text.
- Its original song, The Daughter of Evil, is the only song in the Seven Deadly Sins Series to develop into a standalone series.
- Several of the characters in Story of Evil wish they "could be reborn", usually to have a second chance to be with their loved ones in the next life.
- Several of the characters also say they will "become evil" for another character as part of a reoccurring theme of characters justifying their dark or cruel actions for a greater good.
- The phrase "I will always protect you so please keep smiling for me" is also given a special significance, repeated by Allen and Michaela to exemplify their devotion to their loved ones.
- The song South North Story references the characters and events of the series.
- The song Kept Waiting For A Response was originally intended to be a continuation of Story of Evil, but was later scrapped by mothy as a dead plot point and is not part of its continuity.