- Are you looking for the song titled, Project 'Ma'?
After Maria Moonlit prophesied the country's destruction by Sin around BT 005, the Leviantan Senate heeded her prediction and set up the projected countermeasure: the rebirth of the twin gods, Levia and Behemo, as humans to cleanse it. The senate sanctioned the project and selected Adam Moonlit to direct it, opting to have the gods artificially produced in the Royal Institute.
The project determined that a woman with powerful magic would be needed to birth the twin gods after being injected with the Divine Seed to induce the pregnancy. In order to entice potential candidates, the woman who successfully birthed the twin gods would be worshiped as the “Mother of the Gods” and regarded as the Ma, seated as the ruler of the Magic Kingdom.
Many flocked to the Institute, desiring to be the mother, but failed the surveys administered to determine their viability as Ma. Eventually, Eve Zvezda tested admirably and was selected as the Project’s candidate, receiving treatment. Soon after being implanted with the Divine Seed, she conceived children and, after an inspection, they were determined to be twins and dubbed Cain and Abel. At the time of their births, the twins were discovered dead and the project was deemed a failure.
With Adam and Eve fleeing the country, Seth Twiright was selected as his replacement. Under Seth’s direction, the second project selected Meta Salmhofer from Apocalypse to be the next mother due to having a rare magical power. With the senate’s cooperation, Meta was captured and forced to undergo treatment to escape execution. After Meta conceived and later safely birthed the twins, Hänsel and Gretel, the Evillious Calendar, year EC 0, was established in celebration of the project’s success by Queen Maria. However, Meta fled with the children afterwards, leading to the project being deemed another failure.
Although Meta was being hunted, the third project went underway. However, it was later suspended due to the test subject’s frail body and resulting death. Selecting another candidate as the mother, treatment began but the subject was killed by members of Apocalypse before any results. After the fifth subject was selected, she successfully conceived life but gave birth to a single child instead and was subsequently punished. Although successful in conceiving twins, the sixth candidate was abducted by her husband, Vey Lucif. The corpse was later discovered in Nemu village and the twin fetuses confirmed missing.
With the seventh project established in EC 013, four potential candidates were submitted for evaluation: Milky Eights, Ly Li, Elluka Chirclatia, and Irina Clockworker. After acquiring their survey data, all four were examined in preparation for the final selection. However, due to the sudden deaths of the other three candidates, Irina was selected as the new Ma. However, the Levianta Catastrophe occurred shortly after, obliterating nearly everything in Levianta, thus ending the seventh project from bearing any results.
As a result of the disaster, the entirety of the Magic Kingdom was reduced to a wasteland, and the project was a failure. Both Seth Twiright and the project's last candidate, Irina, survived the catastrophe, albeit Irina was severely injured. The successful experiments, Hänsel and Gretel, later murdered their foster parents and disappeared, with few historical records even validating their existence outside legends and folklore.
- 1st Project: Eve Zvezda
- 2nd Project: Meta Salmhofer
- 3rd Project: Unidentified 3rd test subject
- 4th Project: Unidentified 4th test subject
- 5th Project: Unidentified 5th test subject
- 6th Project: Unidentified 6th test subject
- 7th Project: Irina Clockworker
Conceptualization and OriginEdit
- The project's name, Mem Aleph, is composed of the Hebrew characters for "MA"; in Hebrew mythology, Mem (symbolizing water) and Aleph (symbolizing air) are two of the three "mothers" God chose as the first elements from which all creation was born.
- It's romanized spelling (Ma) shares the root sound for "mother" in many romance languages.
- In the Hebrew language the reverse form of Mem Aleph, Aleph Mem (pronounced "Em") means "mother".
- The survey for judging a potential candidate is composed of six categories, such as Magic and Evil; the initials and order of these categories spell out "mother".
- Ironically, the projects' attempts to save the Magic Kingdom from destruction indirectly caused the Levianta Catastrophe as well as the creation of the Original Sin and later the Seven Deadly Sins.
- The character Ma shares the project's romanized spelling, albeit a different pronunciation in its English equivalent.